Why do we learn geography?
Pupils at Ark Dickens will leave the academy with the skills and knowledge to ‘Be your Best’ as a result of well-planned, engaging lessons. As Geographers, they will be able to:
- Name and locate cities, counties and countries using maps and atlases.
- Understand geographical similarities and differences through the study of human and physical geography.
- Describe and understand key aspects of human and physical geography.
Head of Department
In line with the National Curriculum Framework, skills are embedded across all geography lessons and are constantly revisited throughout pupils’ time at Ark Dickens. Each lesson starts with a leading question and this is what drives the teaching throughout. Across a unit, lessons will be constructed of the following to ensure they are purposeful and outcome driven:
- A ‘do now’ which recaps or focuses on retention of previous learning.
- Key vocabulary and knowledge required to answer the leading question.
- Practical opportunities for application of knowledge and skills.
- Assessment for learning opportunities.
At the end of the unit, pupils will be assessed on their learning through a range of outcome driven activities.
Leaders at Dickens will ensure that staff are well equipped with the knowledge and skills to plan engaging lessons that will spark curiosity in all learners.